What does anxiety medication feel like?



I know a few people who know they have anxiety, but are afraid to go on medication for it.



There are a a couple reasons for this, but mostly they are afraid to go on medication because they are afraid of how it will affect them.

I can tell you from experience that I do not feel like a different person for having taken medication. The goal of generalized anxiety medication is to take the edge off, not to turn you into a zombie. You feel more comfortable with life and better able to handle stress. Your inner dialogue (and if you suffer from anxiety you know what I mean) slows down to a manageable level.

A good doctor or psychiatrist will know how to start you on an appropriate medicine and make adjustments so that you feel 100% yourself, yet feel still feel much more at peace.

For long-term treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder, doctors will generally prescribe Busipirone (BuSpar) and/or an SSRI drug like Paroxetine (Paxil), Sertraline (Zoloft), or Venlafaxine (Effexor).

These drugs generally take a month or so to "kick in", although due to the placebo effect, it is possible you may receive relief sooner than that.

In my case, I was prescribed Busipirone. After about a month, I felt less stressed. I did not feel drunk, drugged, or lethargic.  Simply just less stressed. I took in along with participation in talk therapy.

I was still feeling a little too anxious for my liking about a year into treatment, so my doctor added Sertraline.

In the correct dosages, these two drugs have never made me feel strange. The best way I can explain it is that they made me feel what I imagine a non-anxiety sufferer would feel like. Do I still experience anxiety? Of course, but it is extremely manageable. I still feel human, and after all, everyone experiences stress and anxiety sometimes. Just not all the time like an untreated GAD sufferer.

That is the goal of taking mental health medication, at any rate. It can take some adjustments for your doctor to find the perfect dosages and medications for you. If you do feel strangely after a month or two, tell your doctor right away. Don't give up - if you have a good doctor, you'll get the right combination before too long. If your doctor refuses to work with you, try another one.

You may experience a few minor side-effects on SSRI drugs. The main ones - and these don't affect everyone - are appetite changes and decrease in sex drive. Again, if you have a side effect you do not feel comfortable, tell your doctor right away. In my own experience, the peace I feel on my medications more than justifies any side effects.

Some doctors prescribe benzodiazapines like Xanax or Ativan for immediate relief of generalized anxiety, but these are not meant to be taken continuously more than a few weeks. Your doctor may have certain instances s/he wants you to take it, for example if you have panic attacks, but if you only have generalized anxiety, a long-term treatment regimen is necessary. For long term treatment, you will take a slow-acting drug, like those listed above. If your doctor recommends Xanax or another benzo drug to you, be aware that it is addictive, impairs your ability to drive, and has adverse effects when taken with alcohol. They can definitely make you feel a little different - a feeling akin to having too many drinks.

I am not a doctor, and there are certainly other options for relieving anxiety, such as talk therapy and herbal medication. However, do not be afraid to see your doctor, and do not be afraid to try medication if that is what the doctor recommends. If you don't feel good or don't feel different after a period of time, your doctor can work with you and make changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment